St. Bridget`s Convent
Ancient ruins of St. Bridget`s Convent
In 1436 nearby the Medieval City of Tallinn on the bank of the river Pirita by the order of Saint Brigitte there was built a new monastery.
A huge building of 56 x 24 metres, it was erected according to the strict rules of the order, which precisely regulated its architecture.
It was the largest monastery of Livonia.
The feature of the order was that its monasteries were mixed, there were both female and male premises in the building, and the ways of monks and female monks never crossed!
Even during divine services the male's part of the Dominican's was directly in the church, and female – on a special balcony.
In 1577 during the Livonian war the monastery was destroyed and till today its majestic ruins, particularly just the walls of monastic church with a pediment in height of 35 metres have remained.
And still, for the ones who come here on the excursions there are things to admire.
For example, on the western facade of the church we see an entrance portal similar to a portal of the church of St. Catharine, a carved frieze on the bottom part of the impost, as well as three high pointed up windows.
The triangular facade decorates a floral ensemble of decorative niches.
In 2001 next to the ancient ruins there was constructed a new monastery
Merivälja tee 18, Pirita, Tallinn
|Phone:||(+372) 605 5044|
|Open:||In January, February, March, November and December, from 12 noon – 4 PM | In April, May, September and October from 10 AM – 6 PM | In June, July and August, from 9 AM – 7 PM|